<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 20, 2001

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe how this life has been turned upside down in the past week. I cannot even begin to comment on the tragedy our nation has faced within the past days. I have had so many thoughts on the subject, from deep sadness to extreme frustration. The 6,000+ people who lost their lives last Tuesday have as much a right to be sitting in their homes, with their families, as I do. What makes me so different that I have the gift of waking up this morning to a beautiful day? My heart goes out to the husbands, wives and especially children who have lost someone in this tragedy. I too champion America's newest heroes, found in the men and women working to clear away the rubble that has been left. I say all of this to show that I am not by any means unfeeling and unpatriotic, so I hope what I say next doesnt portray me as such.
Today as I was driving to school I saw a car that had "Kill Bin Laden" written on the back window. I must say that I was taken aback by this bold statement and was completely disgusted with whoever wrote this purely hateful message. Hate of this nature is what brought us as a nation, as a world, to this point in history. Hate is what dropped bombs in Pearl Harbor, hate is what forced Jews into Nazi camps, hate is what caused 19 men to hijack planes and fly 266 Americans to their deaths. Hate like this has no place here. Plastering a death wish across your car is as hateful and terroristic as killing 6,000 innocent people. I too want America to respond to this act. I want revenge as much as the next person. But I cannot wish for the death of someone, even if it is Osama Bin Laden. I will not stoop to their level.
I want to get on with my life. I will never forget the events of September 11, 2001. Like Pearl Harbor is engrained in the minds of my grandparents' generation so will this be forever in my thoughts. This is my Pearl Harbor. But I can't, I won't, watch hour after hour of news broadcast. I turn the TV off in order to avoid seeing anything to do with the World Trade Centers. It's not that I don't care, but sensationalizing these things to such a point trivializes the deaths of these people and turns all of us into paranoid freaks. Yes, this is tragic and heartbreaking. Yes, this is a turning point for America. So, let us unite and uphold each other. Let us together show that we are better and stronger than the people who did this and let's get on with our lives. I think that is what everyone who died last Tuesday would have wanted.

#
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Web Counter by TrafficFile.com