<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 11, 2002

A borrowed thought: "Pride is a very common failing I believe. By all that I have ever read, I am convinced that it is very common indeed that human nature is particularly prone to it, and that there are very few of us who do not cherish a feeling of self-complacency on the score of some quality or other, real or imaginary. Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us." ~Jane Austen
And one of my own: Nothing about ourselves can be wounded quite so easily, quite so severely as our pride. Those who chose to injure that part of ourselves are rarely easily forgiven. Pride can end relationships, pride can keep relationships from ever beginning in the first place. Pride is more than a feeling but rather one of the most dangerous parts of our hidden selves.
(To make a long entry much shorter...I'm tired of being passed over by guys because I'm not a model, nor do I have any of the outstanding features or qualities that make one irresistable, and they can't be bothered to lower themselves to consider me a possibility. I'm beginning to think the people who surrounded me as I grew up did me a great disservice by always telling me I was beautiful. Finding out that might not be true hurts more than never hearing it in the first place.)

#
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Web Counter by TrafficFile.com