<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

We are the Boys of Old Florida... 

Photo courtesy of AP/Mark York
Photo courtesy of AP/Mark York
When I was 14, my dad let me stay up late on a school night to watch his Florida Gators, our hometown team, defeat Florida State and claim the National Championship title. I remember that night, the unbelievable feeling of pride and the look of ultimate joy on my dad's face.
Last night, more than 10 years later, I watched my Florida Gators, my alma mater, defeat top-ranked Ohio State to claim the title no one thought they could take. The pride and the joy came rushing back but this time those feelings were all mine. I think I understand them better now, having lived and breathed UF for four years. I went to every home game, knew the words to every chant and cheer, watched Spurrier leave and a dynasty end, stood arm and arm with fellow fans to sway en masse to "We are the Boys". I called my dad with three minutes left to go in the game, shocked and estatic, without words to describe the small miracle playing out on the field.
At the end of the game, as the confetti began to fall, the crowd began to chant the one statement I know to be fact, "It's GREAT to be a FLORIDA GATOR!"

#
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com
Web Counter by TrafficFile.com